Payroll and Benefits Manager
Reporting to: Finance Director
This role is to work as part of the Finance Team processing and managing the payroll, benefits and pension functions and all associated reporting. This is an excellent opportunity to join my prestigious client who have been established for many years.
Ensure that all employees are paid accurately, timely and in accordance with authorised pay rates and approved additions and deductions to salary via a computerised payroll.
Collate, process and maintain all monthly payroll input including statutory payments in respect of SSP, maternity, paternity, shared parental leave, and pension contributions etc.
Scrutinise monthly payroll input for completeness, accuracy, and authorisation, via reconciliation to the salary database.
• To administer court order and Give As You Earn payments.
• To administer the Cycle to Work and Childcare Voucher schemes.
• To administer the recovery of staff training and development loans.
• To maintain and update the online payslip portal for monthly processing.
• To resolve payroll queries with staff members and external agencies.
• To pay all payroll liabilities to external organisations and agencies within approved timescales.
• To produce monthly salary analysis to support external recharges.
• To update the nominal ledger for all payroll transactions.
• To complete monthly reconciliations of all payroll liabilities and accounts.
• To maintain access and retrieval of HMRC notifications via the Government Gateway.
• To prepare and submit HMRC returns to deadline including RTI submissions, year-end and P60 processing.
• To maintain employee personal information and contact details to support payroll processing and returns.
• To provide full administration for all pension schemes in operation, including completion of monthly and
annual returns, statutory auto and re-enrolment processes, and coordination of external audits.
• To maintain and communicate the Staff Expense Guide.
• To administer the Private Medical Insurance Scheme to include annual renewals, registration of joiners and
leavers, and communications with scheme provider and employees, and recovery of costs via the payroll.
• To scrutinise all expense claims and credit card expenditure as part of the P11d and PSA (PAYE Settlement
Agreement) reporting regimes.
• To maintain a log of staff expense mileage for incorporation in annual energy reporting.
• To collate, prepare and return to HMRC all statutory P11D and PSA reporting.
• To provide the salary analysis to support the renewal of life insurance cover for staff.
• To produce the salary annual salary budgets for Group companies, liaising with Budget Holders as necessary.
• To update the Payroll system with the annual salary review, working closely with the Human Resources Department.
• To provide the Finance Director with monthly salary variance analysis and supporting commentary.
• To provide termly forecasts for all salary costs.
• To support and train Budget Holders in monitoring and accessing their salary budgets.
• To complete all payroll related survey returns.
• To collate and prepare the annual Gender Pay Gap report.
• To liaise with the auditors and supply documentation to support the statutory audit for the Group.
• To maintain central databases of hourly pay rates and allowances for all staff.
• To document and develop financial processing systems.
• To produce ad-hoc reports as required.
• Proven high level of payroll, benefits, and pensions processing experience with the ability to maintain complete
and accurate records.
• Fully computer literate and confident with various computer systems (Microsoft Office, OneDrive, Teams,
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy and a commitment to excellence.
• Honest and trustworthy with the ability to exercise discretion, understanding and confidentiality in the
execution of duties.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to deal with a wide range of people including
staff and external contractors in a professional and friendly manner.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritise tasks to cope with the multifaceted nature of the job, work under pressure and
• Proven organisational skills and a 'can do’ attitude.
• Team player with willingness to support others in their roles.
• Efficient, well organised, with a flexible and professional approach, and a good sense of humour.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work on own initiative.
EXPERIENCE and QUALIFICATIONS
• Previous experience with payroll processing, benefits reporting, and pensions administration is essential for
• Proven track record in a similar outward facing financial processing role.
• Member of The Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals or equivalent qualification.
• Experience of high-volume processing within a computerised environment and to deadlines.
• Highly numerate with the ability to undertake salary and supporting calculations.
• Proven ability to manage inter-departmental relationships and support non-financial managers.
HOURS OF WORK
Full time 36.25 hours per week. Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.15pm with a one-hour unpaid lunch break.
Flexibility will be required at busy times of the year, e.g., regarding monthly payroll submissions, annual audit, end of the tax year, you will be required to minimise holiday requirements during these busy working periods.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive and generous annual salary circa 45- 50k dependant on qualifications, skills, and experience, plus generous benefits package including: Pension scheme, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays. Private Medical Insurance, CPD opportunities, Car parking, Subsidised Gym membership